Asking For Clarification
In order to avoid misunderstanding one has to ask for clarification to make sure one understands the message in the right way. If one is asked for clarification one has to give it and check for understanding. Here are some useful expressions you can use in both situations:
- Excuse me. What was that again?
- Pardon me. Would you mind repeating that?
- Pardon me. Could you repeat that please?
- I beg your pardon. Would you mind repeating that?
- Iím sorry. I didnít get the last part.
- May I interrupt? Could you say that again please?
- What? I didnít catch that.
- What did you say? I didnít get the last part.
- Huh? (impolite) You lost me.
- I didnít get that. Can you make yourself clear?
- I am completely in the dark.
Asking for clarification for better understanding
- If I understand the terms correctly.............. Is that right?
- Could you elaborate on that?
- Do you mean......
- I was under the impression that.........
- Let me see if I have that right. .................. Is that so?
- Use Question Tags.
- I canít understand.......
- I am not sure I got your point.
- Would you clarify that a little, please?
Giving Clarification and checking for understanding.
- I mean that......
- What I mean is that....
- Does that make sense to you?
- Am I making sense?
- Am I clear enough?
- Do you get that?
- Have I made myself clear?
- Do you see what I mean?
- Do you understand so far?
- Are you following me?
- Did you catch that?
- Do you understand?
- Is that clear now?
- Okay, so far?
- Did you get that?
- Got it?
See how you can Express ...
Opinion | Advice | Suggestion | Offers | Likes & Dislikes | Complaining | Apology | Invitation
Download it All